A skill matrix is traditionally a spreadsheet showing a grid of the different team members and their skills.
See below for more information
As a simple record this can work, however it is highly labour intensive. The manager has to regularly review and update the information, having queried and assessed the whole team. Furthermore it is difficult to quickly obtain information from such a table.
Training-Progress uses a different approach:
- Team members are encouraged to actively update their validated skills improvements – it ensures that the internal held skill matrix is constantly updated.
- Accessing current information is greatly simplified.
- As each team member logs into the system they immediately are appraised of their current training status.
- Any outstanding training needs and a future training plan are readily available.
- A wide variety of reports (team, work group and individually focussed) are available to managers.